IVCO 2024


Visa Information

Information on Visas and Travelling to the UK

We are excited to have participants from around the globe joining IVCO 2024 in Newcastle upon Tyne! Depending on your nationality, you may have different visa requirements to enter the UK. 

If you need a visa invitation letter from Northumbria University, please click here to complete a request form. 

Who needs a visa to enter the UK? 

Newcastle upon Tyne is in the United Kingdom, so UK visa rules apply to enter for the purposes of the IVCO conference. The UK government website has a useful tool that can be used to check if you need a visa. 

  • On this page, start with your nationality as shown on your passport. 
  • In ‘What are you coming to the UK to do?’ select Work, academic visit or business 
  • In ‘How long are you planning to work in the UK for?’ select 6 months or less 

EU nationals residing in the UK with “settled status” leave to remain do not need to apply for a visa or provide documentation at the border.

USA, EU, EEA, Swiss nationals, along with several Commonwealth countries, do not need a visa to enter the UK. However, you may still be asked to provide some documentation at the border. 

Documents for Visa-Free Countries 

On arrival, you may be asked to prove: 

  • You’re eligible for the activities you want to do – we can provide you with a letter to help with this, click here to fill out a visa letter request form.
  • You’ve arranged accommodation for your stay – hotel or hostel booking confirmations, click here to check the IVCO 2024 platform for accommodation options. 
  • You’ll leave at the end of your visit – return flight tickets. 
  • You’re able to support yourself and your dependents, if applicable, during your trip (or have funding from someone else to support you). 
  • This is essentially the same information that you would need for applying to a visa, but you will not need to make an application, rather you might be asked to present these documents at the border.
  • You will need to see a Border Force officer – do not use the automatic e-Passport gates. 

Electronic visa waiver (EVW) to enter the UK. 

You can apply for a visa waiver if you are a national of Kuwait, Oman, Qatar or the United Arab Emirates. You must pay £30 for an EVW. You will need the following documents: 

  • Your current passport. 
  • An address in the UK where you will stay. 
  • Details of your journey, including departure and arrival dates and times. 

You will need to apply online for the visa waiver between 3 months and 48 hours prior to arrival in Newcastle upon Tyne. 

If you need a visa invitation letter from Northumbria University , please click here complete a request form. Please note that a letter of invitation can only be provided for IVCO 2024 delegates. Letters for other persons (e.g. family members) cannot be issued.

The Standard Visitor UK Visa is the most appropriate for the purposes of attending the IVCO 2024 conference. 

How do you go about applying? 

There is a list of steps you will need to complete to obtain your visa to enter for the duration of the conference. It is a good idea to do this in good time, ideally 3 months ahead of time, to allow time for waiting times, and the possibility of delays due to unforeseen reasons. 

Travel Document  

  • You must provide your current passport or other valid travel document with all applications and when travelling to the UK. 
  • Some passport holders may need to provide alternative evidence of their identity and nationality. 
  • Your passport must have at least 1 page blank when you apply for the visa. 


Two passport-size (35×45 mm) photographs in colour, against a white background, no older than six months. Additional requirements are listed here. 

Letter of Invitation 

We can provide you with a letter inviting you to the IVCO 2024 conference, outlining your role at the conference and, if applicable, any delegate discount offered for you to attend. Fill out the visa data from to get your visa invitation letter. 

It may also be helpful to also obtain a letter from your home institution, if applicable, with similar details. 

Flight or travel details  

To prove that you will leave the UK at the end of your visit. 

Proof of Accommodation  

Accommodation booking confirmation. 

Proof of financial means 

Bear in mind you do not have to provide all the documents listed below, just those that apply to you. 

  • You will need to provide details of any funding you have received from other sources.  
  • Documents of income status – a headed letter from your employer, for example. 
  • Bank statements (within last 3 months). 
  • Building society books (within last 3 months). 

Proof of personal circumstances

  • A letter from your education provider if you are a student. 
  • Confirmation of legal residence if this is different to your nationality on your passport. 
  • Documents of employment status – a headed letter from your employer, for example. 

If travelling with children

You will need to show a legal document showing your relationship with the child – such as birth certificate or adoption papers. 

Any other supporting documentation 

It may help to provide other supporting documentation, additional paperwork such as details of previous conferences attended (e.g. titles of papers and dates, locations of conferences), details of any awards you have received, details of publications in your name. 

About translating documents  

The UK has specific rules around official document translations: 

If you submit a document that is not in English or Welsh, it must be accompanied by a full translation that can be independently verified by the Home Office. Each translation must contain: 

  • Confirmation from the translator that it is an accurate translation of the original document. 
  • The date of translation. 
  • The translator’s full name and signature.
  • The translator’s contact details. 

Where to Apply? 

You can apply for a Standard Visitor visa online before you travel to the UK. You will then need to schedule an appointment at a visa application centre with all the relevant documentation and a copy of your application form. 

When should you apply?  

The earliest you can apply is 3 months before your planned travel. We recommend you apply as early as possible, allowing time for any delays caused by various factors. 

How much will it cost? 

The standard visitor visa costs GBP115 (EUR 135).

How long will it take? 

You will typically have to wait up to 3 weeks to receive a decision on your application for a UK short-term visa. 

Are there any covid-related restrictions? 

From 4am on Friday 18 March 2022, you do not need to take any COVID-19 tests or fill in a passenger locator form when travelling to the UK from abroad. These changes apply whether you are fully vaccinated or not. 

However, we advise to keep an eye on any developments. You canstay up-to-date with Covid restrictions in the UK here. 

Other Public Health requirements 

You may need to take a Tuberculosis test within 6 months before travelling to the UK. Here is a list of countries the UK requires this from. 

About Russian Federation citizens 

Although the “Golden Visa” scheme was abolished in 2022, there is no ban on Russian federation tourists in the UK, nor does it seem to be a likely future. You will need to apply for a standard visitor visa in the same way as any other delegate from outside of the exempt territories. 

Useful links and further information 


Note: We are providing this information for reference, but we are not an official authority on immigration matters. Please consult relevant immigration authorities and embassies.